Sunday, March 7, 2010

Yahoo! Answers: 30 Questions Answered

My first attempt at some SEO has been answering questions at Yahoo! Answers. This place is the wild west of advice with some absolutely insane advice being thrown around and people more than willing to insult someone's question any way they can.

Still, I've tried to take answering these questions very seriously and I have been selected as the best answer several times already. Still, as far as traffic goes, I'm not seeing anything to speak of. I've seen two recommendations for SEO regarding Yahoo! Answers:

  1. Answer the questions and link to your site (as long as it is relevant to the question) as your "source"

  2. Answer the questions but don't link to yourself as the "source". Instead, include a link to your site in your profile.

Well, I've been trying to take a combination approach. I link to my site in about 75% of my Answers and always take the time to give the best answer I'm capable of. Still, the system is baffling in that I can try to really help someone by writing up an answer for 10 minutes only to see the eventual "best" answer being selected is:

no,no,no...lowl. Wy woud you do thta?! lol

Right.

Anyway, nothing good out of it yet but I'll keep trying. One note for anyone who tries this: You have to be at Level 2 for your links to work. At level 1, they just show as text. You gain levels by visiting the site and answering questions. The good news is that I included URLs to my site when I was Level 1 and when I hit Level 2, the text turned into links.

For those interested, you can see the questions I'm answering in my profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment