Tuesday, March 9, 2010

SEO Friendly Directories

I’ve learned to avoid adding links to directories since a) it feels like a big hassle finding good directories b) they always want a reciprocal link and c) I’ve never seen much gains in using them.

Today, I figured I would break the rule since someone who knows a lot more about this stuff than I do (http://blog.seohaus.com/) posted on SEO friendly directories: http://www.strongestlinks.com/directories.php.

I took this table, transformed it into an excel sheet and then removed everything I wasn’t interested in (pay directories, directories with conditions on “free”, etc.). What I was left with was 15 or 20 directories to try. I think I ended up adding my site to about 10 of them with no reciprocal links needed.

Now I still am not expecting much from this as who knows when (or if) I’ll get listed on any of these directories. Still, it’s a step up from reciprocal linking and waiting for them to add me.

As far as direct traffic goes, are all directories worthless? I mean, are there directories out there that do drive in traffic? I will admit that in the last six months DMOZ has sent me one or two people but that’s really not worth bringing up. Does Yahoo!, with it’s large directory price tag, just give you a better link or are people actually using the pay directories to find content?

No comments:

Post a Comment