Wednesday, March 10, 2010

404 and Google

Back in February, my blogs database had a crashed table and was down for 2 days. Normally I’m pretty good about checking it every day but as luck would have it, I was at family’s that weekend.

I corrected the database problem but my Google results have never fully recovered. The week after all my pages were showing to Google as 404’d my traffic from the search engine dropped to zero. One week later after the next crawl, many pages started making their way back in.

Still, over a month later and only about half of my pages are indexed. Now I’ve never seen a point where they were all indexed, obviously, but in the past I was probably looking at something more like 75% or 80% indexed as opposed to 50%. It’s not as if I have a ton of content so it’s hard for me to imagine that they are limiting what they index at my site already (although that may be a bad assumption).

I guess I’ll have to start looking into this. I only noticed it because I couldn’t find my own pages in Google when I was trying to get some of my articles URLs and didn’t want to log into the admin pages. After checking Google Webmaster, my fears were proven true. Hopefully I can find a solution to this.

I’m starting to find SEO rather depressing!

No comments:

Post a Comment