Saturday, March 6, 2010

Background on my Site and Motivation

To give some background, on my decision to try my hand at SEO I should probably describe my current blog and how it came into being.


I met my wife using an online dating service. It took me a long time to get comfortable using these services and then some more time before I was actually able to have success. That's the point of my blog (LRR Online Dating Guide): to help other people who are as lost as I was when I started dating online.


To date, I've done very little to market my site. Actually, aside from submitting it to some directories (which I've found to be worthless) and adding it to the big search engines, I've done almost nothing to promote it.


There are several reasons I've decided to change that and try to promote it:



  1. I feel like my experiences really will help some people, but only if they're able to find it.

  2. I believe most of the dating advice I find through search engines is pretty crappy. It's obvious that most advice being given is for the benefit of the person selling something, not for the person reading the advice.

  3. I'm curious if I can market my site well just by staying committed to making small efforts every day. It's a skill I wouldn't mind having, honestly.

  4. I wouldn't mind if my site made some money. I'm not looking to make a living off of it but I would like to see it make more money than it costs me every year.


I actually hate promoting my site as I've always felt like I wanted it to grow naturally. However, I'm getting over that feeling :)


Today, I won't be doing much SEO as I'm still finding my way around Tumblr but I hope in the next day or two my posts will have concrete examples of steps I'm taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment