Tuesday, March 23, 2010

NoIndex on Categories and Tags

I've been hesitating to to this but I finally added noindex to my tags and categories (through the All-in-One SEO tool for WordPress). I hesistated to do this because I do occasionally get traffic from search engines that land on these tags/categories. Not much but doing this will cause me to lose a few visitors a day.

My thought is that losing those few will worth it if avoiding these strengthens the value of my other pages. I'm really not sure how I'm going to measure how successful this is, though.

I also removed the tag cloud from the footer of my site. No one was ever using it so I thought it would be better to include it on my Archives page. That way, people looking for particular posts would find it there.

Other than these changes my SEO attempts have been pretty boring: Social Media submissions, more Yahoo! Answers and the like.

I also created an account at MyBlogLog to see if that helps generate any visitors activity. I have my doubts it will. I did a search there for "dating advice" and it's basically what you would expect: a whole lot of garbage. I suspect that having to rising above all the "noise" may prove the site to be less valuable. If someone were looking to find an online dating advice community, it would really be random chance if they found me.

No comments:

Post a Comment