Saturday, March 13, 2010

What Happened to Technorati?

Several years ago I signed up for Technorati when I first created my blog. I wasn't concerned with marketing my blog at the time and before long I had forgotten about my account entirely.

Well, with my new SEO interest, I decided to check out the site to see how my blog was doing. Wow...the site is a disaster now. My site wasn't registering and nothing I tried to change was taking affect - I wasn't even provided the opportunity to change something like my blog's feed.

Eventually, I deleted my blog and added it again. People had been complaining that it was taking Technorati months to verify blogs but thankfully my verification only took a week or two. Still, everything was just as broken as before.

Even simple things like updating your profile on the site don't work. You make a change and when you save the changes are gone. Now I did find that if I used Opera instead of Firefox it did record my change...how weird is that? I tried a few versions of IE and then Chrome but these browsers are unable to update the settings either. Apparently this issue has been going on for 6 months+ which is really crazy. What happens that could cause a site with as much traffic and clout as Technorati to not address something so critical but at the same time small. I mean, getting an internet form to save across browsers...it's not as if we're talking about writing a new Javascript library for visual effects or something!

As I commented on their help page, I think the best thing that could happen for the users of the site would be for Technorati to get some serious competition. To allow problems like these to persist could mean any number of things (staffing issues, just don't care, etc) but none of those things are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment