Monday, March 8, 2010

Squidoo: Writing My First Lens

Squidoo is a strange beast to me. It is allows people to break what I've come to consider "rules of linking on the internet". What I mean is generally I've not been able to generate real links to my site without something being required of me. Sure, I can get a million nofollow links if I want but most of time any real link will require something.

At Squidoo, I can put links all over the place to anything I want. My website, affiliate...there wasn't even a review process when I submitted my article. Now I'm not complaining but it all feels so strange. Maybe I'm just not thinking things through. I guess I could do all that on Tumblr too. I just kept waiting for the rules to be presented to me and they never were.

Overall, I really liked the content generation process. It took me a while to get a handle on it (so this morning is more like 3 Hour SEO) but it is a nice system. My Amazon widget still isn't working and I still don't understand why they could potentially be sending me payouts (my guess is that they share in ad revenue with the article author).

One BIG Tip: Twice content I had written just disappearred. Once when I was saving and then a second time when I went to edit soemthing. I'm not saying this is Squidoo's fault exactly (I think I was missing closing quotes) but just be aware this can happen. I started writing in a text editor on my PC and would then copy/paste the results into Squidoo.

Here's my first page (called a Lens). As you'll see (unless you're running some type of ad blocker) the site is absolutely filled with advertisements. Again, that's fine and I suppose it's not a bad business model either. Let other people write content because they want inlinks and make money off of advertisements. Speaking of inlinks, I'm not expecting much value from these links based on all of this. Still, the experts recommend it so I try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment