Thursday, March 11, 2010

Google Webmaster Work

Today I’ve been keeping things simple and have been going through Google Webmasters to see if Google is seeing any issues with my site.

One area it had was that my categories didn’t have good meta descriptions. I didn’t think that this mattered but I went ahead and updated each category to have a good description. I also tried to clean up my tags this morning and removed a lot of tags that were only associated with one post. I don’t imagine this will affect SEO in any way but it will help me when trying to pick tags for posts.

I’ve actually been considering telling Google not to index my tags and categories but I actually have some SERPs based on these pages. Nothing that I’ve noticed driving any real traffic to me but still. I don’t post the entire content on my tags or categories pages and I don’t use the category in my URL string (which supposedly can cause some duplication problem with Google) so I guess I’ll leave them around.

I really need to enable canonical but I’m very hesitant because when I did that last year (using the All in One SEO plug-in) all of my search results dropped out of Google. I turned off canonical and a few days later they came back. Still, doing that would fit in well with the clean up I’m doing today. I’m going to have to bite the bullet at some point though because it seems like Google is sometimes even seeing the same content as two pages (someone links to me with a trailing slash and someone else doesn’t and it appears as two separate choices in Webmasters).

Webmasters also pointed out some very strange inbound links from what appear to be directories built off of dmoz. It point these out because the links are being pointed to a page that doesn’t exist…I’m considering 301’ing those links but I’m really not sure why they’re coming my way in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment