Saturday, April 3, 2010

PHP on GoDaddy Hosting with Wordpress

Just wanted to share something I saw in regards to the PHP version on GoDaddy. By default, GoDaddy deployed my system to use PHP 4.x. Now, I could upgrade this to PHP 5 any time I chose to but never did because there were warnings about how some sites wouldn't support PHP 5 very well.

Well, since I wanted to use the W3 Total Cache but it required PHP 5 I decided to upgrade. No surprise: everything worked fine with PHP 5.x. I knew Wordpress would work fine but there is always a little bit of paranoia.

One thing I did not expect though: my site performance improved noticeably with this change alone (before even installing the caching plug-in). Now I knew that the PHP engine is always improved from version to version but I didn't think the change would be visibly noticeable!

On that note: if you're going to be hosting Wordpress on GoDaddy I would suggest that one of the first things you do include changing your PHP version to the latest.

No comments:

Post a Comment